Chicken Cordon Bleu
6 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
6 thin ham slices
6 slices swiss cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 c white wine or chicken stock (I never have wine in the house)
1/4 c nonfat sour cream
1 T dijon (or spicy brown) mustard
1 c mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 t minced garlic
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1 t salt (preferably kosher or sea salt)
1/2 t black pepper
2 scallions, chopped (optional)
Putting the dinner together:
- Place the chicken breasts on a plastic cutting board. Arrange a slice of ham and swiss cheese on top of each one. Roll each chicken breast tightly and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the rolled breasts in the prepared baking dish(es).
- In a bowl, combine the soup, wine, sour cream, mustard, mushrooms, garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with the scallions.
For dinner tonight:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Cover the dishes with plastic wrap and heavy-duty aluminum foil. Label, date, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking as directed above.
***Frugal Tip: Since I only make this for the two of us, I usually cook 3 portions (one for each for dinner and one lunch for the next day) and freeze the other three. So, theoretically, if you doubled this recipe you could make enough meals for 4 nights.